Thursday, June 15, 2006

Robert Crichton...




"I was fretting too much over that opening sentence. I worked on it scrupulously, thinking that if I could only get the first sentence right, the rest of the book would come easy. That was a big mistake.

Weeks went by with my staring at blank paper and getting nowhere. One day I decided to just start writing in the style of the Dick and Jane first grade readers.

Simple little words, without bothering about style or polish - just to get the story on paper. I started writing, "There is a little town on a hill called Santa Vittoria. It is in Italy. The people in the town grow grapes and make wine. One day, not too long ago..." and so on. It worked fine. Soon I was writing like mad all day long. The pages began to pile up and I felt better. "

No comments: